Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thoughts About Scream IV

Earlier this week I told you that Scream IV had a release date and that the major contributors to the series were coming back. Now I am going to give you my thoughts on the news.

I am not a Scream fan. I thought the first movie was not subtle in any way about it's knowledge on horror movies. I felt that the movie hit you in the face with it's "wit" and, even though the characters knew all the cliches about horror movies, the characters went out of their way to get trapped by those same cliches. I know that fans will say that that was the point of the movie, but I will always answer back with "that's just lazy writing.". To me, Scream is just another slasher movie that doesn't even bother to give us the gore that slasher movies are known for.

Scream 2 and 3 were just the same way. If it wasn't for the language in the movies they could easily pass with a PG-13 rating. But people ate the movies up and for awhile they were the crown jewel in the horror crown. Now with Scream IV, Wes Craven and company have a chance to make a real slasher movie, but I have a feeling that they won't.

There are already rumors that the major cast members are going to be killed off at the beginning to make way for a new, younger cast. If these rumors hold true, then the movie will fall into the same old pattern that it has already established. If the filmmakers are smart, they will use this rumor to their advantage and keep the audience on the edge of their seats by not killing the major characters off right away. They should let the characters die throughout the movie. This way the audience will not see it coming and will be surprised. But surprise is not in the Scream vocabulary, so I don't see that happening.

I could be wrong about Scream IV. It could be great and renew my faith in Wes Craven. Or it could be bad and add another notch in Craven's belt of bad movies. The way things have gone in the past, I think that the latter will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment