Friday, April 23, 2010

Thoughts About: The Lack of Love For DVD Buyers

In the past year, there has been a growing trend of shifting special features from dvd releases to their blu-ray counterparts. The studios seem to be rewarding people for having a blu-ray player by giving them exclusive special features that are not available on the dvd version of the movie. But what about the loyal dvd owners?

I have no problem with giving blu-ray owners something extra. I am a blu-ray owner and I like getting something extra, but a lot of times these special features are not possible on dvd. Maximum Movie Mode, which is a Warner Bros idea, is not something that is possible on dvd. But there plenty of special features that the studios could give to dvd owners, but choose not to.

Take, for instance, The Lovely Bones. The dvd has no special features whatsoever, while the blu-ray comes with a three hour documentary. And the upcoming release of Shutter Island is the same way too. The studios are forgetting about their loyal dvd customers. When dvds were introduced, one of the main selling points were the special features. I guess the studios are looking at blu-ray the same way now.

And its not just the studios. It seems like every article I read talks about how blu-ray is great and the special features are outstanding, but not everyone can afford a blu-ray player. Sure, you can get them semi-cheap now, you also need an HD tv to enjoy blu-ray to its fullest potential.

I love blu-ray, I'm not going to deny it, but I feel bad for all the people who can't afford it or don't feel the need to upgrade at this time. Studios should give the loyal dvd customers their due. Evantually they will turn to blu-ray, but don't fuck them now.

2 comments:

  1. I had a nightmare going from VHS to DVD. I am not under any circumstances giving into Blu-Ray. I will be like a person still using an 8-track, but I refuse to be forced to nix my entire movie collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blu-ray is really nice, but I know what you are talking about. It took me a long time to go blu, but I am glad that I did. I also know that some movies will never see the light of day on blu-ray.

    ReplyDelete