Monday, April 26, 2010

Killer Minis

Sometimes I don't have time to write full reviews for every movie that I see (I see a lot), so I am introducing Killer Minis. This segment will include short reviews for movies that I see. This way I can give you, my faithful readers a little more bang for your buck.

Mega Piranha zero stars
So why did I even waste my time watching this movie? Well, it was the title. I knew the movie was going to be bad, but I hoped that there would be a few laughs, but there aren't. With so much bad acting, terrible writing, and some of the worst special effects I have ever seen there isn't one laugh to be had. I was so disappointed.


The Descent 2 ***
The original The Descent was a pretty good horror movie, so how do you follow it? Well, you take the only survivor of the first movie and make her go back into the cave. I don't know if a reasonable person would make someone, who is on the brink of being catatonic from the events of the first movie, relive them in this way, but it does make for a pretty good movie. And, while the movie doesn't come close to being as good as the original, it still is pretty entertaining, with enough scares to get you through the night.

Dread (Afterdark Horrorfest 4) ***
This year's Horrorfest isn't as bad as last year's and the standout movie is Dread, based on the Clive Barker short story of the same name. This movie deals with fears and does so very well. The story is a little slow out the gate, but once it gains speed it doesn't stop. It's nice to see that Barker's stories are finally getting the screen treatment they deserve.


Kill Theory (After Dark Horrorfest 4) *
If Dread was the best movie to come out of this year's Horrorfest, then Kill Theory has to be the worst. This movie is a terrible rip off of the Saw movies, but it also takes a lot of cues from the Japanese movie Battle Royale. Since the idea for this movie is not original, you would think that, at the very least, they would do something original with it, but they don't. The characters are standard, the writing and directed subpar, and the kills, while gory, don't really seem all that exciting. What you are left with is a movie that so badly wants to reinvent the Saw mold, but fails at every turn. This is one of the worst movies of the year.

Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever *
I was not a fan of the first Cabin Fever. In fact, I hated the movie. So why did I watch the sequel? Because I liked House of the Devil and I wanted to see if Ti West really had talent. From watching this movie, I have come to the conclusion that, no matter how talented the director is, this material is not good. I know that West was kicked off the movie or left, but he directed the movie, so he has some blame in this. I think that this movie is actually better than the original, but that isn't saying much. There isn't much in the way of character development. For once I can say that it isn't a shame because this material is trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment