Monday, February 8, 2010

Video Store Remembrances

Back when I was a kid, the video store was my sanctuary. I loved going there and seeing what new movies I could find. Every friday my father would take me and my brother to the local video store to see what we could find. It was during this time that my love for movies, especially horror movies, started to grow.
My mother was a big part of nurturing my love of movies. From a very early age I was able to distinct between real and imaginary. This is why my parents were not so restrictive with the movies that I watched. It's not that they didn't care, they just knew that I was able to hold my own.
Since my love for movies began I have used them as a way to escape my fears. I was never really a people person so I found refuge in the movies. Luckily as I have gotten older I have found someone who gets that I am obsessed with movies.
I have been married for almost eight years and have found someone who cares that I care about movies. She doesn't always understand some of my choices, but she let's me be myself. She knows what it was like to grow up during the golden age of video stores, something that no one will understand today, and she knows what a movie means to me.
Suffice it to say, but I love my wife. She has been able to hold me together throughout the years that we have been together. She loves me for who I am. She understands that I am a movie geek and she's ok with that.
Growing up now, the kids will never know what the true meaning of the video store was. You could go to the video store and not only get a movie but find friends as well. The video store was the movie geeks sanctuary, much like a barbershop is sanctuary for black people.
I miss the video store mentality. With everything being on the internet, that feeling of belonging to something has dulled a little. Sure, you can talk to movie geeks from all over the world now, but it's just not the same. Long live the video store.

No comments:

Post a Comment