Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Five Favorites: Troma

In honor of Poultrygeist being released on blu-ray next week (Troma's first blu-ray), I have decided to start a new feature. The feature is called "Five Favorites" and will be updated every week or so with a different list. This week's list is about Troma movies.


5. Terror Firmer- This was the first Troma movie that I didn't like the first time I saw it. I felt that the movie was too long and had to much business to attend to. Now, after viewing it a few times, I find these criticism as virtues. Lloyd Kaufman is giving us an abridged look at how a Troma movie is made. This is like a behind the scenes documentary played for laughs and horror.


4. Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV- The first time I saw this movie was at a screening in Nashville, TN. Lloyd introduced the movie, then showed us the making of documentary afterwards. This was the first time I had seen a Troma movie on the big screen and it was worth every minute. I love this movie. This is the best Toxic Avenger movie since the first. (I happen to enjoy two and three as well) Citizen Toxie is a great movie that you can watch when you are feeling down.


3. Tromeo and Juliet- This is the only Troma movie that I showed to my friends and, needless to say they are no longer my friends, but not because of Troma. They found the movie to be weird and boring. I found it to be funny and entertaining. The movie takes Shakespeare to a place he has never been taken before and we are better because of it.


2. Toxic Avenger, The- Instead of making a straight forward horror movie, Troma decided to make a horror-comedy where the monster was the hero. While this movie was not my first Troma movie (Toxic Avenger Part 2 popped my Troma cherry) it was the one that showed me what a great Troma movie is. Filled with equal parts horror and comedy, The Toxic Avenger is one of the best movies to come out of the eighties.


1. Poultrygeist- I know that this movie is relatively new, but it contains everything that a Troma movie is known for and adds a new element: singing. The music is very catchy and this is the best looking Troma movie. It is funny and disgusting all at the same time.









1 comment:

  1. Great list. I would probably pick Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. instead of Poultrygeist though.

    And if we're allowed to pick movies released by but not produced by Troma I'd probably put Cannibal the Musical, Bloodsucking Freaks and The Stendhal Syndrome on my list.

    ReplyDelete