In honor of Poultrygeist being released on blu-ray next week (Troma's first blu-ray), I have decided to start a new feature. The feature is called "Five Favorites" and will be updated every week or so with a different list. This week's list is about Troma movies.
5. Terror Firmer- This was the first Troma movie that I didn't like the first time I saw it. I felt that the movie was too long and had to much business to attend to. Now, after viewing it a few times, I find these criticism as virtues. Lloyd Kaufman is giving us an abridged look at how a Troma movie is made. This is like a behind the scenes documentary played for laughs and horror.
4. Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV- The first time I saw this movie was at a screening in Nashville, TN. Lloyd introduced the movie, then showed us the making of documentary afterwards. This was the first time I had seen a Troma movie on the big screen and it was worth every minute. I love this movie. This is the best Toxic Avenger movie since the first. (I happen to enjoy two and three as well) Citizen Toxie is a great movie that you can watch when you are feeling down.
3. Tromeo and Juliet- This is the only Troma movie that I showed to my friends and, needless to say they are no longer my friends, but not because of Troma. They found the movie to be weird and boring. I found it to be funny and entertaining. The movie takes Shakespeare to a place he has never been taken before and we are better because of it.
2. Toxic Avenger, The- Instead of making a straight forward horror movie, Troma decided to make a horror-comedy where the monster was the hero. While this movie was not my first Troma movie (Toxic Avenger Part 2 popped my Troma cherry) it was the one that showed me what a great Troma movie is. Filled with equal parts horror and comedy, The Toxic Avenger is one of the best movies to come out of the eighties.
1. Poultrygeist- I know that this movie is relatively new, but it contains everything that a Troma movie is known for and adds a new element: singing. The music is very catchy and this is the best looking Troma movie. It is funny and disgusting all at the same time.