Monday, February 8, 2010

My First Run in with Troma

I still remember my first Troma movie. There was a video store across the street from my house and my parents would take me and my brother to it every weekend. I was browsing the horror section, looking for something that would catch my eye, when I saw it. The box art had this monster on it with a girl on his shoulder shooting a machine gun. I thought to myself that this movie has to be seen. The movie was The Toxic Avenger Part 2 and even thought I had not seen the first one, this video store didn't carry it, I snapped it up.
When I got home I went into my room and popped the cassette into my VCR. What I saw was something that I had never seen before. The monster was the good guy, his girlfriend was blind, and he fought very unusual bad guys. This was far from the movies that I had grown up watching. Even though I had watched a lot of horror movies, this had something different to offer. After I finished watching the movie I knew that I had to see the first one.
After weeks of searching I finally found a copy of the first Toxic Avenger movie. Aftr watching the movie I became a life long Troma fan. With their politically incorrect material and an anything goes attitude, Troma has given me more than twenty years of solid entertainment. They are just what I need for when I am feeling down.
Throughout the years Troma has given us one masterpiece after another and they don't seem to be stopping anytime soon. With the introduction of their Tromasterpiece collection in 2008 to their recent adoption of blu-ray (their first, Poultrygeist, hits shelves in a few weeks) Troma is gaining a brand new audience. That's why they have been around for more than thirty-five years. I love Troma and will continue to support them. When I have kids I will introduce them to Troma and all it's wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment